EU Strategic Framework (2021-2027)
About this consultation
This initiative will contribute to improving health and safety at work, including helping to prevent workers from having accidents at work and getting avoidable work-related illnesses. The initiative will also improve productivity and contribute to preventing unnecessary health costs, such as medical or rehabilitation costs, as well as to reducing public healthcare spending, so improving the sustainability of social security systems.
This requires an inclusive and crosscutting strategic approach to address the main challenges which will be identified for this decade and ensure that workers in the EU can benefit from the highest standard when it comes to health and safety at work.
The current consultation concerns an initiative for a future Strategic Framework on Health and Safety at Work. The workers’ safety and health at work is a matter of broad interest. For this reason, this public consultation is collecting the views of all interested citizens and organisations. Contributions are particularly sought from OSH professionals.
The Commission has committed to ensuring the right of EU workers, both to a high level of protection of their health and safety at work, and to a working environment adapted to their professional needs, which enables them to prolong their working life. The current EU Strategic Framework on Health and Safety at Work ends in 2020 and a new one will be adopted in 2021.
The aim of this open public consultation is to take stock of the quality and implementation of the Strategic Framework on Health and Safety at Work 2014-2020 and to receive input for the future Strategic Framework 2021-2027.
The objective of this public consultation is twofold. The information and opinions collected will be used to take stock of the current EU Strategic Framework. At the same time, it will also provide input to prepare and improve the new one for the period (2021-2027).
We invite IOSH members to send us comments on the European Commission consultation on the Health & Safety at Work – EU Strategic Framework (2021-2027) to help inform an IOSH submission. Please complete the comments form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 February 2021.
You can contribute to this consultation by addressing the following set of questions from the European Commission:
- Thinking about the situation in your country / the EU, has workplace safety and health in your opinion become better since 2014? Please specify why: 500 character(s) maximum.
- Do you agree or disagree that the EU Strategic Framework on Health and Safety at Work 2014-2020 contributed to better work place health and safety for specific groups of workers who may be identified as potentially facing specific risk factors, such as women, older workers, workers with disabilities, seasonal workers, migrant workers, etc. as well as the self-employed? Please provide further details regarding the specific group potentially at risk and/or risks faced. 500 character(s) maximum.
- In your opinion, what were the most significant barriers to fulfilling the EU Strategic Framework on Health and Safety at Work 2014-2020 objectives. Please specify what other barrier(s) you perceive? 500 character(s) maximum.
- Please briefly explain why you believe the EU Strategic Framework on Health and Safety at Work 2014-2020 contributed – or not – to improved health and safety at work. 500 character(s) maximum.
- Thinking about the future (the next seven years), what priorities a new EU Strategic Framework on Health and Safety at Work should focus on? Please specify: 500 character(s) maximum
- Thinking ahead to the next 7 years (2021-2027): What are the key challenges that are common across the EU and require further OSH policy action? 500 character(s) maximum. What practical solutions do you suggest to address all or some of these key challenges? 2500 character(s) maximum.
- Should a new EU Strategic Framework on Health and Safety at Work define in detail a list of objectives, actions, timelines and actors involved in the implementation of such actions, or should it set a vision for the future, and a definition of goals and priorities? 500 characters maximum.
- In your view, what main issues should be included in the successor to the current EU OSH Strategic Framework, covering the next seven years? 2500 character(s) maximum.
- You may share any additional remarks or statement(s) regarding the topic of this public consultation here. 500 character(s) maximum.