The role of line managers in promoting positive mental health
This white paper is among a series of resources available to non-IOSH members. These are mapped to our competency framework to support your learning and development.
If you're an IOSH member, you can access more in-depth resources, which include the principles underpinning various topics and feature practical examples and case studies. The resources cover all competencies specified in IOSH's competency framework, and you can download them from Blueprint, our all-in-one package for career and self-development activity.
Find out more about Blueprint and the features and benefits it brings you as a member.
If you're not a member and would like to gain access to these indispensable guides, join IOSH.
The white paper below aligns to the following competencies:
- understanding of worker wellbeing: implement and lead levels
- organisational culture: understand and lead levels.
Management Today and IOSH set out to examine the role line managers play in promoting positive mental health in the workplace.
We conducted a survey of more than 400 employees from a variety of businesses across the UK to get a clearer picture of what is being done in the workplace to support those with mental health problems. Our sample was split into two groups to enable us to evaluate the results from each group appropriately: one group comprised managers who have employees reporting directly to them, the other comprised managers without any direct reports.
The report explores:
- How well-equipped line managers are with the skills needed to safeguard the mental health of their direct reports
- What approach organisations are taking to create a work environment and work culture that promotes positive mental health and wellbeing
- The stigma surrounding mental health and how this affects the manager/employee relationships
Managing Occupational Health and Wellbeing
Managing Occupational Health and Wellbeing provides practical advice and tools for managers to help create a healthy and productive place of work.