Attending events is a great way to access fresh information, network and keep your Continuing Professional Development (CPD) record up to date.
After attending an event you should add this as an activity on your online CPD record and take the opportunity to reflect on your learning. Here are some simple hints and tips to updating your CPD record:
- It is always best to update it as soon after the event as you can, this way the event will be fresh in your mind. Adding some time in your calendar, either once a month or the day after an event, can help you get into the habit of regularly updating your CPD record.
- To make the most of your CPD record, make sure you have added a development plan. Your plan should tell us about your current job responsibilities, your future goals or objectives, and identify your strengths and weaknesses or gaps in your knowledge and skills.
- There are many activities you can use for CPD, such as work-based learning, attending an event or webinar and even reading IOSH magazine. It can help to make sure that your activities relate to the goals and objectives in your development plan.
- When adding an activity to your CPD record you will need to include some reflective notes. Reflection is an important tool that will help you develop self-awareness and understand where there may be gaps in your knowledge and skills. But it will also help you appreciate any new learning or insights gained. An easy way to write your reflective account is to answer these questions:
- What was the activity?
- Why did you carry out this activity?
- What understanding/knowledge did you gain?
- How will you apply the knowledge gained?
For more information on setting up a development plan and adding an activity, download our guide.
If you have any further questions or need any help, then please contact the Customer Service Centre on +44 (0116) 257 3198 and we will be more than happy to help.