Using events for continuing professional development (CPD)
Attending events is a great way to access fresh information, network and keep your continuing professional development (CPD) record up to date.
After attending an event you should add this as an activity on your online CPD record and take the opportunity to reflect on your learning. Here are some simple hints and tips to updating your CPD record.
- It is always best to update it as soon after the event as you can, this way the event will be fresh in your mind. Adding some time in your calendar, either once a month or the day after an event, can help you get into the habit of regularly updating your CPD record.
- To make the most of your CPD record, make sure you have added a development plan. Your plan should tell us about your current job responsibilities, your future goals or objectives, and identify your strengths and weaknesses or gaps in your knowledge and skills.
- There are many activities you can use for CPD, such as work-based learning, attending an event or webinar and even reading IOSH magazine. It can help to make sure that your activities relate to the goals and objectives in your development plan.
- When adding an activity to your CPD record you will need to include some reflective notes. Reflection is an important tool that will help you develop self-awareness and understand where there may be gaps in your knowledge and skills. But it will also help you appreciate any new learning or insights gained. An easy way to write your reflective account is to answer the following questions.
- What was the activity?
- Why did you carry out this activity?
- What understanding/knowledge did you gain?
- How will you apply the knowledge gained?
If you have any further questions or need any help, then please contact the Customer Service Centre on +44 (0)116 350 0800 and we will be more than happy to help.
We have launched a new CPD record to enhance members’ professional journeys. This is now available to all members. It sits in the new and enhanced Blueprint, along with a self-assessment tool, CPD resources and IOSH’s Ethical Practice in OSH e-learning and assessment. These all align to the competency framework.
Explore Blueprint’s new features and the benefits it will bring. Members will have received an email from email@example.com with their access details. If you cannot find it, please send us a message with your membership number and we will resend the email.