Future Leaders Virtual Conference 2021: Steering towards a brighter tomorrow
IOSH’s second Future Leaders Conference was held from 16-18 March and brought together early career OSH professionals to hear from industry experts and learn from each other through sharing knowledge and expertise.
Involving 31 speakers, including the Future Leaders Steering Group and over 260 delegates engaging and networking on the platform, it was a great way to deliver a virtual conference using Swapcard.
Thank you to our headline sponsor SHE Software!
Hear what the hosts, our FLC Steering Group, thought and their highlights from the conference:
Read more about the highlights, takeaways and top tips from the Future Leaders Conference 2021, on the IOSH Magazine.
What delegates said
We’ve received a significant amount of feedback about the conference. Here is a flavour of what people have been saying.
“Have absolutely loved listening to the speakers at this years' IOSH Future Leaders Conference over the last few days. Dr Stephanie Fitzgerald's health as safety and Teresa Swinton's HOP philosophy have honestly blown my mind a little bit. And how passionately Geoff McDonald talks about mental health and wellbeing was staggering! I feel re-invigored!” Lauren Fegan
"Thoroughly enjoyed the IOSH Future Leaders Conference this week which included a variety of interesting presentations and discussions relating to future growth and evolution of health and safety, and how it relates to us all as aspiring future leaders. As the conference was virtual this year it meant we were able to network with other attendees from across the globe - France and Trinidad to name just a few! Fantastic event, can't wait for next years! #IOSH #IOSHFutureLeaders #HealthandSafety" Ellis Fenwick TechIOSH
“strong words but I think I can confidently say the last 3 days may have been career changing for me - thank you to all involved.” Suzanne Eacott
“These 3 days have been amazing! Thanks to all the speakers and hosts! Looking forward to more IOSH events. From Singapore.” Arjun Nair
“These 3 days have been so inspirational and encouraging - thanks to everyone involved!” Claire Morby
Engagement and interactions – in numbers
- 284 delegates booked with 262 active users during the conference
- 16 countries represented
- Over 3,000 messages exchanged
- Over 700 networking contacts made
- 85 video networking calls took place
- 147 exhibitor contacts made
OSH topics covered
- Equality, diversity, and inclusion
- Culture and human factors
- Mental health and wellbeing
- Soft skills and leadership
Sessions related to competencies within IOSH’s Competency Framework, such as:
- Behavioural competency: communication
- Behavioural competency: personal performance
- Behavioural competency: stakeholder management
- Behavioural competency: working with others
- Core competency: leadership and management
- Core competency: planning
- Technical competency: culture
- Technical competency: sustainability
There were a wide variety of speakers from different industries. Among them were:
- Zoe Davies, Head of Safety, BBC
- Dr Stephanie Fitzgerald, Rolls-Royce
- Josh Huggins, Principal People
- Dr Surindar Dhesi, University of Birmingham
- Geoff McDonald, Minds@Work