This one day course is about upskilling the profession; giving OSH professionals more confidence in developing their relationship and interactions with their board and directors. It provides a deeper understanding of key aspects of good corporate governance, the wider OSH context and bringing the two together.
The approach is interactive and uses group discussions and exercises to help delegates develop their own thinking and strategic, softer skills. Feedback has been very positive, with delegates valuing the opportunity to complement the technical side of their training with support in this important area.
Develop the skills and confidence to discuss safety and health at board level and answer tough questions from directors and board members.
- Describe the role, expectations and legal duties of boards and directors and where OSH sits within these
- Identify the key aspects of good corporate governance including recent developments in non-financial reporting
- Outline factors influencing the strategic OSH context and bigger picture - including a range of international and national standards and IOSH positions on CSR, Sustainability and Reporting Performance
- Anticipate some of the key risks, opportunities and potential benefits associated with these factors and the developing bigger picture and how these can be used to engage and influence boards
- Describe what a framework for good practice in corporate OSH governance looks like
- Describe how an OSH professional can interact with and influence the board through risk management, board OSH information, and audit and assurance processes including the ‘3 Lines of Defence’ model
- Explain what the contents of an effective Board Annual OSH Review should include and how it can be used to pull together key elements of good corporate OSH governance
- Anticipate the types of challenging questions that board members could ask about OSH, particularly as boards become more strategically focussed on OSH and how they should be viewing it
What's in it for you?
All IOSH CPD courses will count toward CPD compliance. Reflective statement forms are provided in order for key messages and learnings to be documented and recorded.
Who should attend?
The course is aimed in particular at OSH professionals in roles where they want to gain more knowledge, insights and confidence in this area and feel better equipped to actively engage with their board on OSH at a strategic level.
Book onto this course to upskill in Stakeholder Management, an area from our competency framework.
Dates and location
IOSH members price
|19 May 2020 - Leeds||£265 + VAT||£315 + VAT|
|15 Sep 2020 - Reading||£295 + VAT||£345 + VAT|
|08 Dec 2020 - Warwick||£265 + VAT||£315 + VAT|
|23 Feb 2021 - Croydon||£295 + VAT||£345 + VAT|
To book your place, please click the link above to download the booking form. Alternatively, for further information or bookings support, please contact the Bookings team on +44 (0)116 2573197, or via firstname.lastname@example.org.