Gallery pin rails and flying system entanglements
We have recently investigated a serious near miss where the guide/paging line accidentally lifted an extinguisher over a fly floor pin rail and dropped it to stage level, fortunately there were no injuries.
As a precaution, all flying pieces were flown in and out to identify any issues. There were a number of examples where paging lines/tripe from set pieces could catch on other hanging items.
The investigation has now been completed and we would like to communicate the following recommendations to all IOSH Members, theatre venues and producers:
- Ensure that no extinguishers are fixed to the pin rail on fly floors.
- Maintain good housekeeping around fly floors, keeping loose items away from areas where they could fall or be caught up with flying pieces.
- Carry out regular safety inspections.
- Carry out a thorough risk assessment for the flying system/pieces giving specific consideration to any areas where the system/pieces or skiff could catch and lift other items, especially loose items.
- If using guide/paging lines, then consider having a member of crew with the line anytime it is moving to identify potential entanglement hazards.
For further details please contact email@example.com.