Welcome to the Theatre Advisory Group, a new sub-group of the IOSH Sports Grounds and Events Group. The Theatre Advisory Group aims to provide a wide range of guidance, knowledge and support for its members, non-members and organisations in the theatre industry.
The Theatre Advisory Group:
- promotes and develops the skills, knowledge and experience of safety, health and wellbeing practitioners and specialists in the theatre industry
- provides benchmarking opportunities and guidance to the industry- develops resources and practical guides specific to the industry, including a guide to performer safety
- works with, supports and campaigns with other industry bodies to improve the management of safety and health
- provides Continuing Professional Development (CPD) activities, site visits and networking opportunities through industry-specific events, often working together with other IOSH groups, branches and industry organisations
- issues regular news updates and articles on our network pages to keep members informed.
Our industry is very diverse in size, ranging from small local theatres to large-scale commercial productions. The workforce is usually very transitory and complex, with a multitude of different contractual arrangements and a culture of long working hours in fluctuating shift patterns.
Most of the production companies are small businesses, so access to occupational health services and competent safety and health advice is difficult. There is a tendency to focus on immediate safety issues rather than on addressing long-term health concerns.
The recent introduction of Construction Design Management (CDM) regulations led to some rethinking on how safety is managed during the design-and-build process. Work at height remains one of our major challenges when building, dismantling and acting on a set. There is sometimes a disconnect between performers, resulting in their safety not always being considered. We will support projects to investigate and address specific safety, health or wellbeing concerns for performers.
The IOSH Theatre Advisory Group brings together members to network and exchange information related to theatre and associated industries, and helps IOSH meet its strategic objectives.
When you join the group, you'll get:
- the opportunity to share good practice and contribute to, influence and aid the development of industry standards for a safer industry for everyone
- a chance to provide development opportunities to help up-and-coming theatre professionals and performers
- a sounding board for questions and concerns you might have about safety and health in the industry and providing support to our members
- support in the development of training and information for industry professionals and performers.
To join the group, please email the Membership Team on firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting your membership number, and they will be able to add or change your group. Please download the committee terms of reference.
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter for group event and news updates.